My name is Tung. At the beginning of 2019, I decided to spend my gap year on conquering the English challenge. I hope that my story about how I get from IELTS 3.5 to 5.5 will bring you some useful tips for your English learning journey.
- Name: Nguyen Manh Tung
- Age: 25 years old
- University: A graduate of Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- How I studied English : study grammar, watch Tvshow, film. At that time, I don’t study vocabularies
- How I’m studying English now: learn English vocabulary with eJOY, read the magazine, watch youtube videos, tedtalks.
- eJOY’s products used: eJOY eXtension, website eJOY Go, website eJOY EPIC
- English skills improved : IELTS 3.5=> 5.5. I can read magazines fluently. My pronunciation and listening skills are enhanced.
- My objective: Master 5000 words when using eJOY. By the way, I think I am almost halfway toward my goal!
How did I know about eJOY English?
As you know, English is an international language, and most young people are learning this language with the hope of being able to communicate with people from all over the world. And I’m not an exception.
I used to have to struggle with my English. Trust me. I have known how difficult it is. Having a “goldfish brain” means I’m likely to forget most of the words I’ve already learned. I easily get confused with a huge amount of vocabulary. To be honest, I used to have no confidence in speaking English with foreigners. How embarrassing!
While learning English, I realized that Pronunciation and Vocabulary are the most important keys if you want to communicate with English native speakers effectively. Even though I’m aware of that, I don’t know how to learn vocabulary to remember them permanently.
However, it has changed completely since I started learning English with eJOY in January 2019, from approximately 100 words, recently I saved over 3000 English essential words (Sources: Destination B1, magazine, Youtube, Barrons Essential Words for The IELTS book, High-Frequency word…) to learn.
How has eJOY English helped me to improve my English?
The best thing about eJOY (I reckon), that makes me crazy about, is I can collect tons of words to learn by heart after that.
Additionally, I have a long-term memory about a load of new vocabulary because I practice regularly with eJOY eXtension. Thereby, I have remembered most of the vocabularies along with exactly the meaning and the pronunciation. The astonishing thing is after 8 months of learning English with eJOY, I can read English comic books, mangas, and magazines easily and no longer feel shy when communicating with foreigners. eJOY truly helps me to learn English better. Besides, I strongly believe that: “Accumulation in quantity leads to a change in substance”. Set your goals to learn by heart 1000, 2000, 3000… words. When you achieved that goal, you will see the difference in yourself. I assure you.
How do I learn English with eJOY?
First, when I embarked on this journey, I asked myself the question: “how to pronounce English accurately?”. The answer is “Pronunciation Workshop” by Paul Gruber. You can download this course from the internet, or contact me (highly recommended). Apart from reading English magazines and books, I learn more vocabulary and have a thorough understanding of grammar by spending time practicing and revising vocabulary that I saved using eJOY eXtension. I applied 5 rules every expert linguistics advised into my learning to remember vocabulary easily:
- Put the word into a context, a coherent sentence.
- Learn with synonymous, antonym of those words
- Learn pronunciation along with eJoy (mimic, imitate) and attach the word with image
- Use measure “Spaced Repetition” to learn Vocabulary to have long-term memory
- Divide the words into different categories: such as Habit, Family, Sport, Education…
Some reading resources that you may find useful:
- Facebook Page: Funny & Hilarious
BrightSide : https://www.facebook.com/brightside/
- Facebook Page: Learning English
British Council https://www.facebook.com/LearnEnglish.BritishCouncil/
English is Fun https://www.facebook.com/EnglishIF/
Crayon- Shin https://mangapark.net/manga/crayon-shin-chan
- Youtube Channel
To sum up, learning English is a long process, but it will be easier if we find the effective ways to learn it and a smart buddy tool to help you. And eJOY is my indispensable buddy on the English journey from IELTS 3.5 to 5.5. I’m sure you can achieve your English goal with this buddy.