Our next speaking topic is Shopping. If you are new here and want to practice speaking on this topic, please fill out the form: https://forms.gle/BpaA9KyyeRmkJfmU6
You can refer to this introduction to understand the program “Pair speaking practice with eJOY”.
1- Discussion questions for Topic Shopping
- Do you like shopping?
- What’s your favourite shop?
- Do you prefer shopping alone or with others?
- What kinds of shops are there where you live?
- Have you ever bought anything online?
- Do you think men and women have different opinions about shopping?
These are suggested questions. You may not want to limit your conversation to those questions. Feel free to add your own and raise any question to your partner during the online meetup. Besides, you may want to have an ice-breaking session at the beginning. Also, don’t forget to wrap up at the end of the discussion.
2- Suggested videos – Topic Shopping
You need to train your ears to get familiar with how native speakers talk about Shopping and also to broaden your vocabulary.
eJOY Epic – Laptop
If you own a PRO eJOY account, you can learn with the following video to practice listening comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary.
Learn with Shopping for Boots.
Read more: How to learn on Epic.
eJOY App/ Go web – Mobile & Laptop
Below are English videos that you can practice with 4 skills (listen-speak-read-write) on eJOY App and eJOY Go web.
- English Way – DVD 05 – Lesson 02 – Shopping
- Shopping is Fun
- Shopping for a Suit
- The Future of Shopping
- What I HATE about SHOPPING
3- Prepare for the talk
This is the to-do list for you:
- Watch the suggested videos to get some ideas and vocabularies. Add new vocabularies from section 5 as well, if you need them. Use eJOY extension (laptop) or eJOY Reader app (mobile) to save them.
- Write your own answers to the questions in section 1 of this article. Try to answer them out loud by yourself as well.
- Set up your device, the platform you choose to make a call to your partner. Make sure your internet works well and you have a quiet place.
Please be noticed that:
- Audio call is used to make sure the connection stable
- Have free talk and maintain your conversation as long as possible with no limit.
- Turn on recording (if possible) so that you will have your audio file to review after the talk
4- Check in to find your speaking partner for topic Shopping
When you have done the homework, try your best to write down the answers to the discussion questions and do rehearsal on your own. And then, fill out the check-in form to help us find your perfect speaking partner who has the same English level, same level of confidence, and same time slot with you.
- to go shopping/to do the shopping
- Department stores have a wide range of goods on sale.
- One of my favourite activities on a Saturday is to go window shopping with my friends to see the latest fashions.
- I love bargain hunting and feel great when I find something I need at a knock-down price.
- I always shop around before buying high value items as prices can vary considerably.
- I often browse around the clothes shops to see if I can pick up any bargains.
- I need some retail therapy to help me get over the disappointment of not getting a promotion at work.
- to go on a shopping spree
- I’m taking a bus into the city with some friends on Saturday and we’re going to hit the shops.
- My waterproof jacket was an impulse buy
- I am a shopaholic
- flea market
- shopping mall
- shopping centre
- be worth the cost
- a luxury
- loyalty card
- shop / store / retail outlet
- to try on
- to return an item